Re: 2.6.0-test1-ac1 Matrox Compile Error

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@infradead.org)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 12:43:32 EST

> > > Ug. That is wrong. Fbdev driver are independent of the console layer.
> >
> > Regardless, the number of people falling over this issue is still
> > somewhere in the region of "silly".
> > The only people who would want to turn off VT support are likely to
> > be embedded folks, so why not move this under CONFIG_EMBEDDED ?
> > and force it to '=y' for everyone else ?
>
> Seconded - care to send me a diff for -ac2 8)

   This still doesn't solve the issue with the input api. The input layer
can be modular on many levels. Even if we force the input core to be built in
this will not stop people from building the keyabord drivers as modules.
Having PS/2 support always turned to Y will not also work since there are
systems that use just USB. Their is a point where users will just have to
read the README and follow directions. We can't make people do the right
thing.
   Also doing this kind of thing only covers up broken framebuffer
drivers. Unfortunetly its going to take me months to cleanup and make the
fbdev drivers behave right.