Re: Input layer demand loading

From: Fredrik Tolf (fredrik@dolda2000.cjb.net)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 07:57:42 EST

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 06.29, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:58:24PM +0200, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
> > >
> > > What's wrong with the current hotplug interface for the input layer?
> > > If you want to implement this, add some input hotplug scripts to the
> > > linux-hotplug package.
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK that can only be smoothly used to load
> > hardware driver modules.
>
> In a way, yes.
>
> > If the input layer userspace interface code has been compiled as modules,
> > and you have a ordinary (not hotplug) device, eg. a gameport joystick,
> > can really the hotplug interface be used to load joydev.o when
> > /dev/input/js0 is opened?
>
> No, you want to load the joydev.o driver when you plug in the gameport
> joystick. Which will be before you open the /dev node.

Not necessarily. When the joystick is plugged in, you want to load the
hardware driver modules. There's really no need for the userspace interface
until someone requests it. At least that's the way I see it.
And in any case, even if you do want to load joydev.o when the joystick is
plugged in, I don't see how that could be done on-demand when the joystick
port isn't hotplug compatible, such as is the case with gameports, right?

Fredrik Tolf