Re: RFC on io-stalls patch

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 09:24:46 EST

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 04:00:02PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > > That may be so, but no user will ever touch that sysctl. He just
> > > experiences what Alan outlined, system grinds to a complete halt. Only
> > > much later does it get going again.
> >
> > and on the small boxes that will happen much less now since on the small
> > boxes the biggest vm overhead could been generated by the uncontrolled
> > size of the I/O queue that previously could grow as big as 32M.
>
> That is true, however noone runs 32MB boxes anymore :). So I doubt that
> would be the case.

I don't think it's an issue on 32M only, my point was that it's still a
relevant amount of ram on 64M and 128M boxes too and it may be more than
what the VM allows to be dirty in those ram setups (even with the
default sysctl), especially during vm congestion that is when you most
need to dominate the amount of that locked ram.

Andrea