2.6.0-test1: some modules refuse to autoload

From: Greg Norris (haphazard@kc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 16:51:39 EST

My apologies if this is a repeat... I originally sent it yesterday
evening, and haven't seen any sign of it on the list.

---

I'm starting to test out the 2.6.0-test1 kernel, and for the most part everything is going smoothly. There is one problem that has me stumped, however... I can't seem to get module auto-loading to work for the cdrom. None of the other modules seem to have any trouble.

I'm currently running Debian sid, with module-init-tools 0.9.13-pre. I've defined the alias "block-major-22 ide-cd", and verified that both "modprobe -nv block-major-22" and "modprobe -nv ide-cd" give the expected results. When I try to mount a CD, however, I get the message "/dev/hdc not a valid block device". Browsing the system logfiles, I don't see any indication that a module load was even attempted. Everything works fine if I load the ide-cd module manually first.

I browsed the list archives and did some googling, but didn't find anything which sounded similar. Any idea what's wrong?