Re: 2.6.0-t1 garbage in /proc/ioports and oops

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@osdl.org)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 23:15:33 EST

Chris Ruvolo <chris+lkml@ruvolo.net> wrote:

> Hi, I am seeing some garbage data in /proc/ioports. Currently, I can cat
> the file without an oops, but on a previous boot, the following oops came
> up when catting the file.
>
> Exact output from /proc/ioports is attached (some 8-bit garbage), as well as
> lsmod output. Let me know if further data is needed.
>
> I suspect that this is a problem in one of the drivers I am using, but
> how do I track down which one it is (since the name is not there)?

You could load all those modules one at a time, doing a `cat /proc/ioports'
after each one. One sneaky way of doing that would be to make your
modprobe executable be:

        #!/bin/sh
        echo Loading $* > /dev/console
        modprobe.orig $*
        cat /proc/ioports > /dev/null
        echo that worked

and then just boot in the normal manner.

Have you ever unloaded a module? The usual source of this crash is some
driver forgot to unregister an IO region during module unload. So a read
of /proc/ioports crashes _after_ the module is rmmodded.