Re: KDB in the mainstream 2.4.x kernels?

From: Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 19:57:18 EST

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 07:31:08PM -0500, linas@austin.ibm.com wrote:
> > One argument i have against it: KDB is incredibly ugly code.
> > Before it could be even considered for merging it would need quite a lot
> > of cleanup.
>
> What in particular? I just looked at kdb/kdbmain.c and kdb/kdb_bt.c
> and it looks fine to me; fairly minimal even. I don't know about
> arch-specific code. Is there a particular file you're complaining about?

Check the kdbsupport.c code too.

All the code together for the i386 backtracer is approaching 1000 LOC and
it's quite ugly.

> Dedicating a partition that is unformated, and whose sole purpose
> in life is to record a dump -- that is a viable option, at least on
> servers, where high uptime is more important, and storage is cheap.

Typically you don't need a dedicated partition, you can dump on swap.
netdump does also dump over the network. This may be the safer choice
when you don't trust your block subsystem after crashes.

-Andi