Re: Bitkeeper

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 19:30:53 EST

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:02:32 PDT, Larry McVoy said:
> Let's try and simplify this because having a legal discussion is pointless.
> Our position is that we gave something out for free with an understanding
> that you wouldn't reverse engineer it. Regardless of your legal rights or
> lack thereof, should you attempt to reverse engineer BK we'll simply stop
> giving BK out for free. See? Simple.

You know guys, Larry would spend a lot less time having to make threats
like this if people didn't start off by saying "Let's see how we can get a free
Bitkeeper". I've seen *LOTS* of philosophical posturing and arguing about
whether it's moral to rip Larry's software off, and what countries make it legal
to do so.

I've only seen *ONE* person (who's name I've forgotten but who needs to be
praised) suggest finding some *FUNDING* for Larry so he doesn't worry about his
revenue stream getting hosed.

So Larry - *IF* funding was there, would you consider a business model similar
to Hans Reiser's?