Re: 2.6.0-test1-mm2 music skips

From: Lukas Kolbe (lucky@knup.de)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 16:56:48 EST

Am Son, 2003-07-20 um 23.12 schrieb Ed Sweetman:
> Too many times music skipping is blamed on the kernel. This is not
> always the case. Bad userspace programming can cause audio skipping.
[...]

I didn't want to 'blame the kernel' for the audio-skipping, I just
followed Andrew Morton's call for feedback. One of three things I find
annoying in 2.5/2.6 is the audio-skipping, as far as I remember it 'felt
better' with the late 2.2 to middle 2.4 kernels on older hardware.

But I also have to say that interactivity (with heavy multitasking, many
apps, massive window-moving etc. pp) on my desktop-system has improved
very very much compared to 2.4. Though I don't have figures to back that
:).

> I'm not saying xmms is entirely at fault for the skips. But i've written
> other ogg decoders for zinf that skipped as well doing those things.
> Also, i moved to fluxbox as my window manager because other equally
> functional window managers caused major X lag during redraws, fluxbox
> does not. Also, make sure you have dma enabled on your hdds, swap on a
> non-dma drive can easily crawl the system. And by the way, my x is

Yay, hd's have dma enabled (udma5). And Metacity is indeed a problem, it
is damn lagging behind most other window managers, but it's gnome2's
default.

> In short, it's not always the kernel that's the problem, but in the
> implimentation the program uses for playing and decoding audio. They
> may need to be redone since what they used to be able to get away with
> in older kernels doesn't work anymore now that it's more strict and fair
> and thus better at doing it's job.

ACK.

--
bye