Re: Problems with IDE - Ultra-ATA devices on a SiI chipset IDE controler

From: David Zaffiro (davzaffiro@netscape.net)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 06:42:35 EST

> I have a production server with a SiI680 pci device being used as a
> IDE controller.
> Connected to the external IDE controller I have 4 120GB IDE disks just
> in raid5 Linux-software mode.
>
> Well, I have detected some problems that i cannot understand (I am not a
> expert so ... :-( ) ...
> ( I was using a HighPoint some time ago which gave me the same problems.

Some time ago, I've had the same problem booting gentoo-1.4-rc2 with my Promise PDC20276, I had to append "acpi=off", otherwise the kernel-image of the cdrom suffered from the same problems... Maybe that'll help to get your production-server back online?

However, I couldn't determine whether you are using ACPI, perhaps not. Personally, I wouldn't choose to use power-management (neither apm nor acpi) on a server in the first place, but that's just me...