[ON TOPIC] HELP: Getting lousy memory throughput from Abit KD7

From: Timothy Miller (miller@techsource.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 14:21:15 EST

Below is a message I wrote earlier to the list, but I didn't see any
reply.

Since that time, I installed Windows and ran SiSoft SANDRA to test my
memory throughput. The result I got was a little over 2300 MiB/sec,
which is pretty much what I'd expect. On the other hand, STREAM shows
me getting about half that while I'm running Linux.

This suggests to me that there is one of these possibilities which is
contributing to the poor performance under Linux:

1) Linux is not programming the KT400 chipset properly and is thus not
getting the throughput it could.
2) SANDRA uses instructions (SSE, etc) which are able to access memory
more efficiently than whatever STREAM is using.
3) SANDRA inflates its scores to make people feel better.
4) Linux has not properly set up the CPU caches.

Given the speed of the processor and the fact that usually, most memory
access hits the cache, I would expect the memory bus to be saturated
during the test. The KT400 does some amount of read-ahead, and since
the data can be read out of a cache line much faster than it can be
loaded into the cache, I wouldn't expect much time delay between when
one line is read and the next one has a miss. Is the latency so great?
  What about the out-of-order execution of the CPU?

What I want to know is this:

Am I getting realistic throughput for what STREAM does?

What is SANDRA doing that lets it get such high scores when STREAM does not?

Thanks.