Re: 2.4.21-pre4: PDC ide driver problems with shared interrupts

From: Edward King (edk@cendatsys.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 16:02:49 EST

Do not compile the devfs -- I beleive if you compile it, it will be used
(it can't be compiled as a module).

I caught the error because partimage didn't find /dev/hda1 but found the
path devfs uses natively (don't remember, something like bsd, not
important) which I beleive (and could be really off base here) that the
/dev/hda1 actually pointed to if devfs code was compiled in (I _think_
-- big stress on not being sure -- that devfs makes itself transparent.)

Compile without devfs and try it. It doesn't matter how many ide
controllers you use, where you put the drives, DMA settings, etc. I
found with devfs the raid would crash in a heartbeat but single drives
would respond without a hiccup -- even running bonnie on each drive
simultaneously for hours.

As for more ide ports, no idea. Maybe the new SATA will help there but
I haven't played with them.

- Ed