Re: 2.5.72 module loading issue

From: Randy.Dunlap (rddunlap@osdl.org)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 22:14:32 EST

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:27:24 -0600 <yiding_wang@agilent.com> wrote:

| I am still struggling on the fc driver module working on new 2.5.72/2.6 kernel and wish someone can shed some lights here.
|
| The driver is working great for 2.4.x Linux and is modified to reflect all SCSI layer change in 2.5.72. I have RH9.0 and installed 2.5.72 on the same system. Driver compiled under 2.5.72 OK. The module utilities are upgraded to 0.9.13-pre.
|
| Now first problem I have is to module loading fails on "insmod mymodule.o". Message:
|
| "No module found in object"
| "Error inserting 'mymodule.o': -1 Invalid module format"
|
| It looks like something is missing from migrating my driver module from 2.4.x to 2.5.x.
|
| What is new requirement for module building and loading with "insmod" on 2.5.72 compare with the requirement in 2.4.x?

Please use the correct makefile for mymodule.
See linux/Documentation/modules.txt and
  linux/Documentation/kbuild/makefile.txt.
In general, it only takes a few lines to build a module that is
maintained outside of the kernel source tree in 2.5/2.6.

Here is an example of one that is probably longer than it needs
to be:

# makefile for oops_test/dump*.c
# Randy Dunlap, 2003-03-12
# usage:
# cd /path/to/kernel/source && make SUBDIRS=/path/to/source/oops_test/ modules

CONFIG_OOPS_TEST=m

obj-m := dump_test.o

# dump_test-objs := dump_test.o

clean-files := *.o