Re: Promise SATA driver GPL'd

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 14:19:06 EST

On Mer, 2003-07-23 at 20:08, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> GPL provides no means to enable the author/copyright holder to defend and
> recover legal fees occurred during discovery and litigation.

I don't think anyone says the GPL is a perfect license

> What I find odd in you politics which stinks, is you and redhat are
> pumping OSL into new features which are not generally submitted to the
> standard base. I do not care, but it does look funny.

Red Hat is using OSL for various new projects based on the fact that
lawyers and legal scholars think that the OSL is the better license to
be using and that it achieves desired goals for free software. The
kernel however is GPL and its kind of hard to change that. Certainly Red
Hat can't do that.

OSL wasn't around when the kernel began or my guess is Linus would have
gone that way to avoid political baggage.