Re: 2.4.22-pre7: are security issues solved?

From: Florian Weimer (fw@deneb.enyo.de)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 04:11:34 EST

"David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> writes:

> If I know your password is 7 characters I have a smaller
> space of passwords to search to just brute-force it.

This is not the real problem, IMHO.

If the counter is public, you can read it repeatedly to measure the
intervals between keypresses. If you take pair-wise timing into
account, you can narrow the search space considerably.

There's a detailed paper about the issue:

  <http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~dawnsong/papers/ssh-timing.pdf>

(Even if the title says SSH, it applies to the public counter scenario
as well.)