Re: Posting format

From: CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 18:24:13 EST

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:47:32AM -0400, Robert L. Harris wrote:
*51 lines of unnecessary quoting snipped*
> > More exposition regarding top vs bottom posting: Replying at the bottom
> > results in an easily parseable tree. Consider the following conversation
> > where everyone replies at the bottom.
>
> On the other hand if everyone posted at the top it would be considerably
> easier reading for those who have been following the conversation
> without having to scroll down and figure out where comments and the
> conversation is at. You could read just the top post and go from there.

That's why you snip your quoting appropriately.

> For those new to the conversation they can just start at the bottom and
> scroll up. When the next post comes in they just read the top post

Or rather, scroll to somewhere near the bottom, scroll down some, scroll
up to the next message, scroll down some, scroll up, scroll down, etc.
All depends on how the replies were done.

> again instead of scrolling down to the bottom or middle somewhere to
> figure out what/when/where.

People who know how to trim quoting appropriately make this a non-issue.
Generally the reply begins on the first visible page.

The other advantage is that going past the bits of relevant quoted text,
even just to quickly pass your eyes over them, gives you a nice reminder
of what is being replied to and makes the subject fresher in your mind.
It also helps clue you into what the sender is really replying to so that
there's (potentially) less misunderstanding.

> Using VI and Mutt, the cursor starts at the top not the bottom or
> anywhere in the middle so there's and ease of use for CLI mail readers
> as well instead of the GUI oriented.

I use mutt and vim. This is a non-point. The spacebar works. With vi
ndd works for quote removal (where n is the number of lines). For vim
you have shift-v to begin your selection and just move the cursor down
to where you want to cut. If the person you're replying to did their
job then you doing yours is simplicity in itself. If they don't then
it becomes more painful but it still is not difficult (or complex -
just takes a wee bit longer).

--
"How can I not love the Americans? They helped me with a flat tire the
other day," he said.