Re: Net device byte statistics

From: Bernd Eckenfels (ecki-lkm@lina.inka.de)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 19:22:51 EST

In article <200307250156.47108.fredrik@dolda2000.cjb.net> you wrote:
> On the other hand, I cannot imagine that noone would have thought of it. What
> is the reason for this? Is there another interface that I should use instead
> of /proc/net/dev to gather byte statistics for interfaces?

it is for performance reasons. You can

a) collect your numbers more often and asume wrap/reboot if numbers
decrease
b) use iptables counters instead

BTW: it is a very often discussed topic, personally (as net tools
maintainer) I would love to see 64bit counters here, but this still means
you have to sample often enough, so you do not lose numbers on crash.

Greetings
Bernd

--
eckes privat - http://www.eckes.org/