Re: [patch] sched-2.6.0-test1-G3, interactivity changes, audio latency

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 05:26:56 EST

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Guillaume Chazarain wrote:

> BTW, with your nanosecond resolution, mplayer is also max interactive.

good.

> Don't you find it strange to need a nanosecond resolution to evaluate a
> simple integer in a [-5, 5] range?

no, i dont find it strange, as the -5..5 integer range is only the end
result. What we really want is an accurate sleep average, the integral of
sleep times done over the last N seconds. Given that tasks can schedule at
very high frequencies these days, this needs accurate measurements. I used
to hope that a 1 msec sampling frequency would to be enough for this, but
when we fix the statistics cornercase you mention, another cornercase pops
up. And it's not _that_ hard to use the cycle counter and still have a
reasonably fast algorithm, anyway.

        Ingo