Re: 2.4 -> 2.2 differences?

From: Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 10:00:51 EST

Thus spake Bernd Eckenfels (ecki-lkm@lina.inka.de):

> In article <20030725142434.GS32585@rdlg.net> you wrote:
> > With all the SCO fun going on I have people asking me what functionality
> > we would loose if we rolled from 2.4.21 kernel to the last known stable
> > 2.2 kernel.
>
> it is easier to turn off SMP.
>
> BTW: what will happen if there is some SMP code from IBM in the kernel which
> is owned by SCO? Isnt it a matter of days to remove that code? Does anybody
> have to pay for past usage of the code?

But would just turning off SMP shut up the lawyers? They're saying it'd
take a full roll back to 2.2.

Having Gartner say not to take the suit seriously isn't helping calm
down the lawyers, etc even if there is no proof.

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0523gartntous2.html

Right now there's just a bunch of rumors and stories of people like M$
paying license fees which argumentably provides a precedent. (tactics
of M$ asside, M$ isn't the topic here)

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
      These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert@ipv6.rdlg.net http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = robert@mail.rdlg.net http://www.rdlg.net