Re: Ingo Molnar and Con Kolivas 2.6 scheduler patches

From: Ed Sweetman (ed.sweetman@wmich.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 18:02:08 EST

What i consider decoding is everything from the file to the audio going
to the audio device. This means moving the audio from your decoder into
the buffer you use to play sound. The process may be set as realtime,
but whether or not it's able to accomplish that is up to the code
itself, usually you have more audio experienced programmers working on
the output library/device. Just because the decoder may be able to get
cpu and resources when it asks for it within a bounded range doesn't
mean it's able to accomplish what it's supposed to within that range all
the time. Otherwise explain why substituting different decoders results
in different performances regarding audio skipping, that includes
different decoders for different codecs and even the same ones. The
audio programs themselves are responsible for the poor performances they
get with current kernels much more than the kernel is, that point was my
original subject.

yea, it's just as distinct per cycle as outputting audio is, but the
players are not at a realtime quality, which they should be before
people start using them to grade the kernel's "realtimeness".