Re: 2.6.0-test1/2: keyboard funnies in textmode

From: Jurgen Kramer (gtm.kramer@inter.nl.net)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 10:33:31 EST

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 16:52, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> Can you give some details?
>
> - When did it last work?

OK, I no longer have compiled 2.5 kernels installed, only 2.6.0-test1/2.
I can only say it does work normally under 2.4.x.

> - What does it mean: "am unable to use"?
> (Is the key ignored? Does the system crash? Do you get different keycodes?)
On the laptop with Japanese keyboard the Yen/Pipe key is totally dead.
On the regular PC with USB keyboard only the backslash works.

How can I check keycodes while in textmode?

> - What are the boot messages about the keyboard?

Very annoying, I can't type dmesg | grep keyboard while in textmode..:-(
But from X:

>From the laptop (2.6.0-test1):
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio4
input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

>From the PC (2.6.0-test2):
input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Logitech USB Receiver] on
usb-0000:00:1d.1-2
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2

> The pipe key is the same as the backslash key (say, on a US keyboard).
> And there is some interesting confusion between Yen and Backslash
> (since ASCII and JIS-Roman coincide, except in the yen and overbar
> positions, where ASCII has backslash and tilde).
> So, I am not surprised by weird things on a Japanese keyboard.
> Do you use scancode Set 3?
Above shows Set 2 for the laptop. I can't tell for the PC.

Cheers,

Jurgen