Re: Re: What's the timeslice size for kernel 2.6.0-test2, IA32?

From: Stephen Anthony (stephena@cs.mun.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 11:34:46 EST

>> I haven't been able to find this information anywhere. I know HZ was
>> increased to 1000, but was the timeslice decreased to 1 ms (from 10 ms)
>> as well?
>
> Depends on nice of the task. Nice 0 tasks get 102ms.

I don't think I asked the right question :) If I call usleep(x) or
nanosleep(x) with kernel 2.4.21, and x < 10, the sleep would still last
10 ms because of the timeslice. All sleeps would be a multiple of 10 ms.

If I call usleep(x) or nanosleep(x) in 2.6.0-test2, what 'multiple' can I
expect? Maybe I mean granularity instead of timeslice. Basically, I
want to know how 'soft' of a real-time system the new kernel is.

It would be great if sleeps were 1ms accurate instead of 10ms. It would
make synchronization code a lot easier.

Steve