Re: Re: Major 2.4 / 2.{5|6}-smp Scheduler Slow-ness

From: admin@rachel.trevorj.com
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 23:26:30 EST

First -- I would like to apoligize for emailing as root. never leave
your terminal su'd, especially when you are lazy and just run `mutt -s`
;)

Alright, I did as the Great Andrew Morton said, and learned how to use
readprofile.

Now, what i have found from this, is that it is ehci-hcd and
uhci-hcd. THE most unlikely thing i could of imagined. Without the
ehci/uhci-hcd modules it runs fine, although with the obvious
non-working of usb ;)

So, as you can see from the outputs of the attached outputs of
readprofile ( 2.6.0smp-test2-mm1 with and without ehci/uhci-hcd ), it
*seems* to be related to irq troubles. You guys should be able to shine some more
light on this, in case i am wrong =).

You can load the hcd modules fine, but you cant remove them. just kind
of sits there and makes all newly exec'd tasks not executable, just
makes them hang. although logging in on another terminal works,
but you still cant launch anything. lsmod

But, this still doesnt solve my network card problem. the 8139too driver
just plain doesnt work, but, like the usb problems, works fine with the
non-smp 2.5/6 kernel. It loads fine, no errors. removes fine
too. but, whenever i try to use ifconfig to set it up, it reports
SIOSCSI: ( or something of the like ) function not implemented. quite
odd. =/

Thanks once again,