Re: [Patch 3/6] dm: decimal device num sscanf

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@infradead.org)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 11:54:01 EST

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 05:27:45PM +0100, Joe Thornber wrote:
> > So why do you do it in kernel again?
>
> Let's reverse the question, why are you deprecating passing a dev_t
> into the kernel ? (I'm not being awkward, just confused).

Because we want to keep dev_t use down as much as possible. It should
just be a small cookie for looking up the correspoding object where
it's required by posix. Everywhere outside that scope we better deal
with pathnames because they are much more meaningfull. And with udev
and dynamic dev_t around the corner the actual values become more and
more meaningless.