Re: chroot() breaks syslog() ?

From: Herbert Pötzl (herbert@13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 08:33:07 EST

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 03:49:48PM +1000, Steven Micallef wrote:
> You're right - my mistake, it doesn't actually work on 2.4.8 either, I think
> I was looking at the wrong thing when I thought it was actually working.
>
> Is it worth considering (optionally) making /dev available to chroot()'ed
> environments, or would that just defeat the whole purpose of chroot()?

IMHO, devfs in chroot environment, is defeating the purpose
because if you have access to raw devices, like the device
your chroot dir is on, you can easily mount that device
again, and voila you have access to the full tree, if you
just have access to, lets say a ramdisk (as raw device of
course), you can also easily write on it, and create the
required device nodes yourself, then mount, and again
everything is available ...

best thing to do is to copy only those devices, which are
absolutely required to the chrooted environment ...

HTH,
Herbert