Re: TOE brain dump

From: Werner Almesberger (werner@almesberger.net)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 15:09:21 EST

David Lang wrote:
> I would think that it's much more difficult to run NUMA across different
> types of CPU's

I'd view this as a new and interesting challenge :-) Besides,
if one would use Alan's idea, and just use an amd64, or such,
the CPUs wouldn't be all that different in the end.

One added benefit of using similar CPUs would be that also
bits of user space (e.g. a copy loop) could migrate to the
NIC.

> then it would be to run a seperate kernel on the NIC.

Yes, but that separate kernel would need new administrative
interfaces, and things like route changes would be difficult
to handle. (That is, if you still want this to appear as a
single system to user space.) It would certainly be better
that running a completely proprietary solution, but you still
get a few nasty problems.

- Werner