2.5/2.6 PCMCIA Issues

From: Misha Nasledov (misha@nasledov.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 18:22:04 EST

Hi,

I was told that you would be the correct person to write to regarding
issues with PCMCIA under the 2.5/2.6 kernels. I own an IBM ThinkPad
T21 with a Texas Instruments PCI1450 (rev 03) CardBus bridge. When I
first installed a 2.5 kernel on here, it was 2.5.73; when I would
insert my Orinoco card, it would work fine, but when I ejected the
card (either manually or by using cardctl first), the module would
fail to unload and this would cause issues, eventually forcing me to
reboot my machine to relinquish my Orinoco card. 2.5.74 was supposed
to have some PCMCIA fixes to fix this hotplug issues, but to my
surprise, it made my PCMCIA problems even worse; as soon as I put my
Orinoco card into the slot, the system would completely lock up. Even
the cursor in my console would stop blinking, so I am unable to get
any sort of oops message or kernel error for you. Kernels 2.5.75,
2.6.0-test1, and 2.6.0-test2 also had the new problem from 2.5.74. If
it is in any way pertinent, I am running the latest version of cardmgr
from pcmcia-cs.

Please find attached a gzipped copy of my 2.6.0-test2 .config file.

--
Misha Nasledov
misha@nasledov.com