Re: i_blksize

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@osdl.org)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 01:10:26 EST

Andries Brouwer <aebr@win.tue.nl> wrote:

> You propose to remove i_blksize.
> Yes, a good plan, half an hour's work.
> It is used in stat only, so we have to produce some value for stat.
> Do you want to replace
> inode->i_blksize
> by
> inode->i_sb->s_optimal_io_size
> ?

No, that's different. You are referring to stat.st_blksize. That is a
different animal, and we can leave that alone.

inode->i_blksize is equal to (1 << inode->i_blkbits) always, all the time.
It is just duplicated nonsense and usually leads to poorer code -
multiplications instead of shifts.

It should be a pretty easy incremental set of patches to ease i_blksize out
of the kernel.