Re: Badness in device_release at drivers/base/core.c:84

From: Ishikawa (ishikawa@yk.rim.or.jp)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 11:10:21 EST

(Sorry this is not strictly related to SCSI, but I could not help it.)

Regarding the use of a program from uucp suite
for console output capture,
we can use C-Kermit as well.

> Your need a NULL modem serial cable available
> from any computer store.
>
> Install uucp - I use on the HOST :
>
> uucp-1.06.1-33.7.2.

Or you can use C-Kermit.
See

   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

for details. There are precompiled packages.

> ... [omission ] ...

> 5. Start uucp on the HOST:
>
> cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600

       kermit
       set line /dev/ttyS0
       set speed 9600
       connect

and you can issue other commands.
        set [space] ?
will print all the available options at that point.
(You can log the interaction into a file by issueing
a command to kermit, too, but using script and then run kermit
inside the scripted session might be easier.)
(Generally speaking hitting ? somewhere on the kermit command line
prints usable options/setting/keywords, and so
you can learn the basics very quickly.)
You can set up a startup file that sets
the device name, speed, parity, data size, etc. and
so you don't have to type all the command every time.

While I agree cu might work well for one shot job,
running a full terminal emulator like C-Kermit
helps us in the long term.

Just thought to let you know a full-featured terminal
emulator is available under linux.

> John Donnelly AT HP DOT com

Is the succinct and to the point steps
part of a widely available document?

I wish I knew this a few years ago.

--
int main(void){int j=2003;/*(c)2003 cishikawa. */
char t[] ="<CI> @abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.,\n\"";