RE: [2.6] Perl weirdness with ext3 and HTREE

From: Martin Schlemmer (azarah@gentoo.org)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 17:08:23 EST

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 23:53, Christopher Li wrote:

> > I cannot really see that it is a Gentoo specific problem, but
> > who knows.
> > I will try to get a CD of another distro somewhere, and get that on a
> > box to test - currently work/whatnot just keeps me pretty tied up :(
> > Another reason why I posted, is now that 2.6 is more widely
> > used/tested,
> > its not only me that gets this, but other users as well - thus I hoped
> > that somebody with more time wanted to have a crack at it.
>
> I am not claiming it is a gentoo issue. I just want to duplicate
> this bug with minimal damage to my box.

Yep, I know, I just 'clarified' it in case somebody was wondering.

> > If it works fine (with a 2.6 kernel), I will go and bang my
> > head against
> > a wall, and shutup until I can make time to try and track
> > this - if not,
> > any ideas as to creating it outside the perl install (or
> > rather the man
> > page part of the install process) would be great.
> >

> You can do a strace on the perl install, then grep for all
> the file changes happen on that directory. There is a good
> chance follow the strace log can duplicate the bug also.

Yep, did that. I had a simple c program once that tried to
simulate all file operations on that file, and the 'real'
man page that gets installed. Did not have the same effect
however. Might be that I was off by something. Don't have
it however anymore, as it was some months before, just before
I mailed the first time.

Thanks,

--

Martin Schlemmer