2.6.0-test2 on Dell PE2650, ACPI_HT_ONLY strangeness

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 09:40:00 EST

Before upgrading our PowerEdge 2650 (dual HT Xeons, Tigon3,
aic7899, workspace on sw raid5 over 4 disks, ext3) to RH9,
I gave 2.6.0-test2 a spin. Worked fine, except for one thing.

In 2.4, CONFIG_SMP automatically uses acpitable.c to detect
secondary threads via the MADT (since MPS doesn't handle them).

In 2.6.0-test2, with CONFIG_SMP and CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY, this
doesn't happen, _unless_ I also pass acpismp=force on the command
line. Without acpismp=force, it only finds two CPUs.

The logic in arch/i386/kernel/setup.c, which defaults acpi to
disabled if HT_ONLY is chosen, seems backwards. Surely if I
configure HT_ONLY it's because I want to use it, no?

/Mikael