Re: 2.6.0-test2: unable to suspend (APM)

From: Charles Lepple (clepple@ghz.cc)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 07:31:03 EST

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 07:00 AM, Russell King wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:45:53PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:46:59 -0400 Charles Lepple <clepple@ghz.cc>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also saw your post about the 3c59x cardbus adapter. I can't recall
>>> ever
>>> being able to suspend the machine with that card inserted (including
>>> under 2.4-- I always had to eject the card before suspend or
>>> hibernate).
>>
>> The IBM Thinkpad documentation mentions this (or used to) you cannot
>> suspend a Thinkpad (using APM?) while there is a card powered in the
>> PCMCIA/Cardbus slot. You could try doing "cardctrl eject" before
>> suspending - I find that this works for me (Thinkpad T22).

OK, I didn't realize that powering down the card was a
Thinkpad-specific requirement.

One thing that had me confused was that some people indicated that it
should be possible to do the 'cardctl eject' or 'cardctl suspend' from
within the script invoked by apmd-- however, I guess the Thinkpad BIOS
doesn't let the APM suspend event propagate that far when there is a
card powered up.

>> The message "apm: suspend: Unable to enter requested state" is an
>> indication of an error from the BIOS.
>
> Well, it all works fine with 2.4, even with a 3c59x in the slot (except
> for the resume problem.) Even ejecting the card before suspending with
> 2.6 doesn't fix the problem though.

<aol>Same here</aol> (although I assumed that the problems I was seeing
when reinserting the card were due to an older hotplug package that was
misinterpreting the insertion events... I'll have to eliminate that
possibility.)

Russell, I am curious as to whether any of the early 2.5.x (x <= 31)
kernels still work for you, or whether suspend on your machine was
broken in a different version.

--
Charles Lepple <clepple@ghz.cc>
http://www.ghz.cc/charles/