Re: sendfile system call on tmpfs

From: Hugh Dickins (hugh@veritas.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 08:09:51 EST

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Theewara Vorakosit wrote:
> I use linux redhat 9 with kernal 2.4.20-13.9smp. I try to use
> sendfile system. I found that on ext3 file system, it works fine.
> However, on tmpfs, it error with "Invalid argument". Does sendfile()
> support on tmpfs or other filesystem?

The 2.4 tmpfs did not support sendfile (or loop) until 2.4.22-pre3,
so Red Hat's 2.4.20-13.9smp won't do it.

If you're at ease with patching the kernel source and rebuilding your
kernel, please let me know: I should be able to send you the necessary
patch (mainly mm/shmem.c) to add those features into your Red Hat 9 tmpfs.

Hugh