Re: 2.4.22-rc1 breaks dri in X-4.3.0

From: Ken Moffat (ken@kenmoffat.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 16:22:30 EST

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > Apologies if this is a known bug, I'm slightly lost following the list,
> > and the only bug I can see mentioned seems to be in Alan's tree.
> >
> > I've just built 2.4.22-rc1 for my PIII (via chipset, radeon 7500), and
> > rebuilt radeon.o from the X 4.3 release. This combination worked with
> > 2.4.22-pre7 (although with occasional X lock-ups).
> >
> > In X's log I can see that the radeon module fails to open
> > /dev/dri/card0 (no such device) and therefore the module load fails.
> >
> > From dmesg I can see that agpgart detects the chipset and reports the
> > aperture, but there are zero [drm] messages following.
>
> Does the DRM module get loaded?
>
> Whats the output of insmod drm.o ?

 drm is built in, only radeon.o is a module. Bizarrely (I rebooted
before the original mail, in case something was hanging on to a file and
stopping it loading), this time it loads.

insmod radeon now gives me
[drm] AGP 0.99 aperture @ 0xe8000000 64MB
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.7.0 20020828 on minor 0

It looks as if I had a problem with depmod, insmod was failing until I
reran depmod -a, and yet that is at the end of my script for rebuilding
the X modules. Sorry this turns out to be a bogus report.

Ken

--
 I never wanted to be a tester.  I wanted to be a lumberjack...