Re: NPTL v userland v LT (RH9+custom kernel problem)

From: Peter Svensson
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 01:58:11 EST

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Frank Cusack wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:42:36AM -0500, Jerry Cooperstein wrote:
> > If you read the release notes for RH9 you'll see you can adjust what
> > thread library gets used with the environmental variable
> > LD_ASSUME_KERNEL. So for instance you can do:
> >
> > LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 rpm ....
> > LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 up2date
> >
> > (I've mentioned these two because I've noted these fail when you are
> > root...)
>
> Interesting. Something these have in common is that they all use
> Berkeley db4 (up2date by virtue of using rpm). I don't understand why
> nss_ldap or pam_ldap would, but it's one of the sources in the srpm.

I have had rpm lock up on me a few times. I think it was waiting on a
sempahore or some other synchronization event. After killing the process
(after several hours) no rpm transactions could be completed, they all
hanged at the same point. The only way to get rpm to work again was to
reboot the system.

Not sure if it is related or not though. I never thought to try it as
non-root.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@xxxxxx> ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3 07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF