Re: 2.6: Problem multiple bool/tristate prompts

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 05:41:23 EST

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 12:03:45PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > config BLK_DEV_PS2
> > tristate "PS/2 ESDI hard disk support" if BROKEN_MODULAR
> > bool "PS/2 ESDI hard disk support" if !BROKEN_MODULAR
> >

> > Every "make *config" gives the warning
> >
> > drivers/block/Kconfig:45: prompt redefined
> > drivers/block/Kconfig:45:warning: type of 'BLK_DEV_PS2' redefined from
> > 'tristate' to 'boolean'
> >
> > and the symbol is handled as tristate although BROKEN_MODULAR isn't
> > defined.
>
> A symbol can have only a single type and the warning is a bit misleading,
> the new type definition is simply ignored.
> I'm not sure what you're trying makes really sense, but you have to use a

I made a patch that lets all broken drivers depend on an (undefined)
BROKEN symbol and all drivers that don't compile on SMP on a
BROKEN_ON_SMP symbol that is only defined if !SMP.

This (undefined) BROKEN_MODULAR was an attempt to express that a driver
compiles only statically.

> separate symbol:
>
> config BLK_DEV_PS2_B
> bool "PS/2 ESDI hard disk support" if !BROKEN_MODULAR
>
> config BLK_DEV_PS2
> tristate "PS/2 ESDI hard disk support" if BROKEN_MODULAR
> default BLK_DEV_PS2_B

It's too complicated to be actually useful, but it seems I'd then need a

config BLK_DEV_PS2_TRISTATE
tristate "PS/2 ESDI hard disk support"
depends on BROKEN_MODULAR
default y if BLK_DEV_PS2=y
default m if BLK_DEV_PS2=m

config BLK_DEV_PS2_BOOL
bool "PS/2 ESDI hard disk support"
depends on !BROKEN_MODULAR
default y if BLK_DEV_PS2=y

config BLK_DEV_PS2
default y if BLK_DEV_PS2_TRISTATE=y || BLK_DEV_PS2_BOOL
default m if BLK_DEV_PS2_TRISTATE=m

Alternatively it might work with BLK_DEV_PS2_TRISTATE and
BLK_DEV_PS2_BOOL using select.

My problem isn't that important to satisfy such a complicated construct,
I can accept that there's no easy way to express this and live without
it.

> bye, Roman

cu
Adrian