Re: 2.6: More about interactivity

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 12:45:05 EST

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 17:20, Szonyi Calin wrote:

> Some comments:
> Renicing X at -20 is silly. It is normal that xmms skips when
> X is reniced because X gets the cpu time not xmms.

I didn't say XMMS skips when X is reniced at -20 :-)
It's Juk the one that skips and, as one LKLM reader said, it has to do
with the fact that aRTS had less priority than X.

> Also a normal user doesn't have access to nice values below
> zero, so the scheduler should work for normal systems not
> for those in which process foo is reniced at -bar priority.

Can't follow you reasoning. I think the scheduler should work for any
priority, either negative (the most) or possitive (the least). In fact,
some kernel threads are reniced negatively since they need full
priority.