Re: Filesystem Tests

From: Szakacsits Szabolcs
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 05:45:30 EST

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> reiser4 is using approximately twice the CPU percentage, but completes
> in approximately half the time, therefore it uses about the same
> amount of CPU time at the others.
>
> Therefore on a loaded system, with a load carefully chosen to make the
> test CPU bound rather than I/O bound, one could expect reiser4 to
> complete in approximately the same time as the others, _not_ slowest.

Depends how you define approximation, margins. I dropped them and
calculated reiser4 needs the most CPU time. Hans wrote it's worked on.

However guessing performance on a whatever carefully chosen loaded system
from results on an unloaded system is exactly that, guess, not fact.

> That's why it's misleading to draw conclusions from the CPU percentage alone.

I've never wrote I made my guesses from the CPU percentage alone, you
explained correctly why. I encourage you too to calculate yourself how
much more CPU time reiser4 needs.

Szaka