Re: uncorrectable ext2 errors

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 16:24:58 EST

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 10:55:13PM +0200, Jan Niehusmann wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:12:36PM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> > Last September or so there was a long discussion about a
> > filesystem that was destroyed. But what I recall is that
> > in the end it turned out not to be a hardware problem,
> > but a precedence problem - two missing parentheses in the driver.
> >
> > Google will tell you all, I suppose. Search for Promise and Isely.
>
> Yes, thanks, I found these mails, and they may describe exactly the
> symptoms I saw on my server. So perhaps the fixes have not been
> (correctly) applied?
>
> I only saw the mails from Mike Isely, but no 'official' response. Do you
> remember if the patches got accepted by one of the maintainers? Andre?

I see no kernel version in your post, that would be the first thing
of interest. Next, look at this addressing variable via /proc.
It it is zero, then you are hit by something avoided by the patch
I sketched yesterday evening or so. Otherwise we must look further.

It looks like all your corrupted places are at a multiple of 2^27.

Also, I see that you do e2fsck on a mounted filesystem. Terrible.

Andries