Re: 2.4.22-pre lockups (now decoded oops for pre10)

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 16:40:41 EST

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:33:28 -0300 (BRT)
Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Okey. Thats useful information.

During this weekend I did several tests around SMP and UP, and I can definitely
confirm the box does not crash under rc2-UP kernel, but collapses within hours
under rc2-SMP.

> > > How hard would it be for you to try ext3
> > > as the filesystem (as Andrew suggested) ?

I spent half the weekend to turn the setup from reiserfs over to ext3
completely preserving the data. The box runs now with rc2-SMP-ext3 (no reiserfs
present any longer). I will send notice if/when it crashes.

>From looking at the tests so far I would say the setup is remarkably slower in
terms of writing to ext3 via nfs and sync option set. I think especially the
"sync" is very visible - unlike reiserfs.

Regards,
Stephan