Re: Linux 2.4.22-pre10-ac1

From: Manuel Estrada Sainz
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 17:39:47 EST

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 03:42:27PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> > > not quite true. If hotplug is not enabled it tells the driver that the
> > > firmware can't be loaded. It is the same if hotplug_path is zero, or you
> >
> > The ifdef should be there, or firmware should depend on hotplug, and
> > probably the firmware users should also depend on hotplug
>
> I definitively prefer the #ifdef, because the firmware loader should
> automaticly selected and compiled if a driver needs it. But let a driver
> depend on hotplug can not be the solution, because some drivers maybe
> also work if the firmware loading fails.

I don't find it necessary, but if you have so much interest, you have my
blessing.

Though I would instead put the #ifdef's in "linux/firmware.h" providing
dummy inlines. Having to load a useless firmware_class.o seams a little
overkill, and that way you also make it possible to compile
request_firmware dependent code without CONFIG_FW_LOADER.

Oh, and feel free to do the same for the 2.6 series :-)

Have a nice day

Manuel

--
--- Manuel Estrada Sainz <ranty@xxxxxxxxxx>