Re: [BUG mm-tree of test2/test3] nforce2-acpi-fixes breaks via ide controller

From: Andrew de Quincey
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 04:21:31 EST

> > Since the test2-mm1 sources I get the following error during boot:
> >
> > VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:11.1
> > VP_IDE: (ide_setup_pci_device:) Could not enable device.
> >
> > This results in not being able to use DMA for any devices connected to
> > my IDE controller. Hdparm says permission denied when I do a hdparm -d1
> > /dev/hda e.g.
> >
> > I checked with a vanilla kernel and everything is working fine there.
> > Going through the broken-out patches from Andrew Morton I found the one
> > patch that caused the above behavior: nforce2-acpi-fixes.patch

Hi, thanks for tracking down the problem

Can you send me:
a dmesg with the patch (i.e. when it fails (essential))
a dmesg without the patch (i.e. when it succeeds)
the output of /proc/interrupts (when it fails (if possible))
the output of /proc/interrupts (when it succeeds)
the output of /proc/acpi/dsdt
the output of lspci -vvv

(the last two can be either with or without the patch)

Sorry about the long list, but this is what I need to diagnose these problems.

> > I do not know why it should interfere with my via stuff, but it does. A
> > vanilla test3 kernel is working fine as well, whereas test3-mm1 shows
> > the same error as before with test2-mmX.
>
> Me either. Unfortunately that patch does five different things so we
> cannot easily narrow it down further.

Yeah, I know. My next patch is likely to have to do even more unfortunately.
Found quite a number more issues with IRQs.