Re: 2.4.22-pre lockups (now decoded oops for pre10)

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 04:42:29 EST

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:23:20 +1000
Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sunday August 10, skraw@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > From looking at the tests so far I would say the setup is remarkably slower
> > in terms of writing to ext3 via nfs and sync option set. I think especially
> > the"sync" is very visible - unlike reiserfs.
>
> data=journal
> makes nfsd go noticable faster over ext3. Having an external journal
> is even better.

Uh, forgive my ignorance. "journal" means metadata+data journaling. If I have
large data movement, how can that be even faster? Ok, I see the facts around
sync'ing the fs. But anyway the data size written should be nearly doubled
compared to data=ordered. Reiserfs journaling has to be real incredible in
comparison to ext3(ordered). I have the impression that large files are hit
most.

Regards,
Stephan