Re: 2.4.22-rc2 ext2 filesystem corruption

From: Martin Maney
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 10:20:55 EST

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:10:51AM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> I'll try to reproduce around here. In the meantime can you try to isolate
> the corruption. You said it didnt happen with 2.4.21 -- which pre shows up
> the problem?

Yes, that's on my list. Unfortunately this has so far only been seen
on my workstation, and I have to get a bit of work done before I can
pursue this. At least I can get some candidates built in the
background.

I have tried a few things quickly with 22-rc2, and the short summary
is:

* noapic makes no difference (don't recall why I had UP APIC enabled)

* disabling DMA w/hdparm stops the corruption (all normal operation
and previous testing has been with DMA enabled)

* mounting w/ -o sync makes no difference except to slow things down

--
Show me your flowcharts and conceal your tables, and I shall continue
to be mystified. Show me your tables, and I won't usually need your