Re: Updated MSI Patches

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 13:53:23 EST

Nakajima, Jun wrote:
The issue with do_MSI() approach is that it's very similar to do_IRQ(),
and we may have maintenance issues there. However, if we make a common

I agree

do_MSI() code, that might be worth it, and I would expect much fewer
architecture-dependent issues there, compared to do_IRQ (the common
do_IRQ() hasn't happened yet as far as I know).

However, we have maintenance issues in this area as well :)

If you look at each architecture's implementation of do_IRQ, you can see each implementation is strikingly similar... except for some subtle differences. So there are arguments both ways: creating a common do_IRQ may add maintenance value... but also create corner-case problems for the arch maintainers.

So, IMO, do_IRQ is one special case where copying code may be preferred over common code.

And I also feel the same way about do_MSI(). However, I have not looked at non-ia32 MSI implementations to know what sort of issues exist.

Jeff