Re: C99 Initialisers

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 22:11:07 EST

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 05:37:42PM -0700, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> > | I would much rather move the PCI ids out of the
> > | drivers altogether, into some metadata file(s) in the kernel source |
> tree, than bloat up tg3, tulip, e100, and the other PCI id-heavy |
> drivers' source code.
> >
> > That last few lines certainly sounds desirable.
>
> What exactly would be the benefit of this ?
> The only thing I could think of was out-of-kernel tools to do
> things like matching modules to pci IDs, but that seems to be
> done mechanically by various distros already reading the pci_driver structs.

Maybe I read too much into it. It made me think of Jeff's previous
remarks about driver config and help being close to but split from
driver source code. I saw (read) it as an extension of that:
a way to package all driver information neatly close together,
but in separate files. Someone could modify the config, help, or IDs
file(s) without mucking with the driver source file(s).

~Randy