Re: 2.4.22 APM problems with IBM Thinkpad's

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 09:37:09 EST

Alan Cox writes:
> On Mer, 2003-08-13 at 14:13, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > With APIC support enabled (SMP or UP_APIC), APM must be constrained:
> > DISPLAY_BLANK off
> > CPU_IDLE off
> > built-in driver, not module
>
> This isnt sufficient because some of the SMM traps off the FN-key
> sequences also crash thinkpads if APIC is enabled. Basically *dont use
> local apic* except on SMP.

For those Thinkpads a DMI blacklist entry should suffice.
(Just like it solved the Inspiron problems.)

2.6-mm has the "lapic" and "nolapic" options I added so that
P4s no longer are autoenabled, needed for broken ACPI BIOSen.
Perhaps we should require the "lapic" option also for all P6s?

(Strangely, K7 machines seem to have fewer local APIC BIOS issues
than either P6 or P4 machines.)