agpgart failure on KT400

From: Jonathan Morton
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 13:42:50 EST

I recently upgraded to a m/board using the KT400 chipset - specifically an Abit KD7-G - and now find that I can't load agpgart. The relevant kernel messages:

agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro KT400 chipset
agpgart: unable to determine aperture size.

This results in my inability to load XFree86, using the proprietary ATI drivers, which appear to require AGP support. Note that the same problem appears using ATI's "internal agpgart module", just to show I know the difference. The regular XFree86 drivers probably work without AGP - I haven't bothered trying yet.

NB: I tried sending this to Jeff Hartmann, but his address at precisioninsight.com is dead. Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the list. Better still, refer me to someone who actually knows what to do about it.

The BIOS is set up for either a 256MB or 64MB AGP aperture - whichever of the two settings makes no difference. The video card is a Radeon 9700 Pro, 128MB. The kernel configuration includes ACPI and HIGHMEM-4GB support, if that is at all relevant.

This problem is identically present in 2.4.21 and 2.4.22-rc2.

I can provide extra information as needed, just ask. I have a feeling someone's going to ask me for lspci output, but I'll leave that until someone who knows what they're doing asks me.