resource leak in kernel_thread()

From: Vladimir Kondratiev
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 14:20:07 EST

I need to spawn and terminate kernel thread from the module quite often. At any given time, only one thread is alive. There are events that triggers thread creation and termination.
I found that, if I create/terminate thread many times (3000 - 4000 times), system get to the stage when it can't create new process. I checked that, if I terminate one (already running) process after getting to this stage, I can create one more kernel thread, then system return to the state when no more processes can be created.

I use vanilla 2.4.20 kernel.

kernel_thread() start returning -11, which is -EAGAIN.

I must be doing something stupid, but I looked at kernel thread usage in the kernel code and found it is the same as in my example (to extent I can understand :-) ).

I will appreciate any help WRT proper kernel_thread usage. Please, CC me (vladimir.kondratiev@xxxxxxxxx) in your reply since I am not subscribed to the list.

To simulate this situation, I created simple example. Following code is module that creates/terminates thread. To model external event that will trigger creation/termination, I use "/proc/kthread" file. The same file used to get some statistics. To create thread, one need to write "+" to the file, to terminate - "-". I run it on single CPU, so I removed all kernel_lock() related code.

To execute the test, run the following script. After some 3000-4000 threads your system will be unable to create processes.

---kthread.sh begin---
#!/bin/sh
f="/proc/kthread"

function start () {
echo "+" > $f
}

function stop () {
echo "-" > $f
}

function display () {
clear
cat $f
}

sudo /sbin/insmod kthread.o
while true; do start; display; stop; done
---kthread.sh end---