Re: Trying to run 2.6.0-test3

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 12:01:18 EST

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 15:20, Norman Diamond wrote:

> > > Guess why I compiled it without ACPI support and with APM support. Guess
> > > why my kernel command line has acpi=off apm=on. (Although the command line
> > > options are redundant with the self-compiled kernel configuration, they are
> > > necessary when booting a generic kernel. Yes I know that the machine has
> > > just enough ACPI hooks to cause problems when anyone other than Windows 98
> > > tries to use ACPI. It's not even recommended to force ACPI on when
> > > installing Windows 98 on this machine. Windows 2000 blue screens if ACPI is
> > > forced on. Linux doesn't panic when its default ACPI takes over, but it
> > > does prevent APM from working.)
> >
> > If you turn ACPI on, you won't need APM support.
>
> WRONG. ACPI DOESN'T WORK ON THE MACHINE I'M DOING THIS ON. DID
> YOU TRY READING WHAT YOU QUOTED THERE? Yes I know you volunteer
> more effort on Linux than I do, but you're asking me to flame you anyway.
> How many times do you need to be told?

Yes, I tried reading. You said Linux doesn't panic while using ACPI, so
I supposed ACPI just worked but the problem was you wanted APM support.

> > To be sincere, I don't know exactly why "pci=usepirqmask" needs to be
> > used. I'm no hardware expert. But I know that I needed it when I wasn't
> > using ACPI.
>
> Hmm. Then some dependency seems to be broken in kernel compilation. When
> ACPI is not compiled in, it should know that the effect of "pci=usepirqmask"
> should be compiled in (whatever that effect is).

It's not a problem with dependencies. On ACPI-enabled kernels, you using
ACPI routing. If you boot using "acpi=off", then you're using standard
PCI routing and that, in turn, on same machines, it warns you to use
"pci=usepirqmask". Don't know why, on some machines using standard PCI
routing, you don't need to boot with "pci=usepirqmask". I suppose it
will be some kind of hardware incompatibility or a bad implementation.