RE: Update MSI Patches

From: Zwane Mwaikambo
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 00:17:15 EST

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Nguyen, Tom L wrote:

> Thank you for testing it through different configurations!
> That is what we thought initially by renaming irq to something like offset or
> index to avoid some duplicate functions. However, I think if keeping them like
> above perhaps may raise a confusion again of why not name vector since the
> function vector_to_irq(...) converts a vector to irq. Please provide us final
> thoughts.

I think a variable rename should be fine, as long as the reader doesn't
get misled into thinking a specific variable is something which it isn't.
index sounds fine to me, the nice thing about your patch is that we don't
have to touch pci_dev->irq at all. The only other change would be what to
show to userspace e.g. driver prints pci_dev->irq and /proc/interrupts
prints vector. But that's all secondary...